Robert is a Partner of the firm. He originally trained as a Barrister and practiced at the Bar from 1992 before cross qualifying as a solicitor.
He has extensive experience and knowledge in criminal defence. He tends to specialise in the more complicated cases including Murder, serious sexual assaults and rape as well as Conspiracy to Defraud and Money Laundering. Robert is often approached to advise and represent individuals on behalf of professional bodies during the course of police investigations involving extremely complicated and often sensitive matters. His involvement has led to many successful outcomes.
Experience & Areas of Expertise
Robert is on the panel of solicitors instructed by the National Union of Teachers to represent its members when subject to criminal investigation or prosecution. He has been extremely successful in avoiding prosecutions in an extremely sensitive area. He has advised and represented Police Crime Commissioners, Labour Party members and councillors as well as members of the Judiciary and Psychiatrists.
In 2012 Robert was retained to represent members of the Canadian Olympic Team/Association during the course of the Olympics.
Robert has represented a wide range of clients including
Robert is recommended in the Legal 500
- Member of the Criminal Law Solicitors’ Association
Notable recent cases include
- R v H – Robert represented a Defendant who was one of eight charged with various offences arising from the Murder of a young man by shooting. The allegation is that the Murder is a tit-for-tat response following the stabbing of H a few weeks previously.
- R v S (2012/2013) – Robert successfully represented this 18 year old Defendant charged alongside her boyfriend with Possession of two Firearms and a significant quantity of expanding Ammunition. The ammunition had been used only a few weeks earlier when officers had been fired upon. Although such offences normally attract a minimum sentence of 5 years’ imprisonment, following conviction the Defendant was in fact sentenced to a suspended sentence of imprisonment.
- R v K – Robert successfully represented this defendant, 0ne of two charged with possession of a firearm
- R v JM – Robert successfully represented a teacher accused of serious sexual offences
- R V C – Robert successfully represented a teacher charged with assaulting a pupil.
- R v M – Robert represented a defendant, 1 of 5 charged with cash in transit robbery.
- R v BM – Robert successfully represented a defendant charged with threats to kill and racially aggravated public order act offences.