Edwards Duthie Shamash are recognised by the Legal Aid Agency as a contractor to represent clients who wish to secure legal aid to bring actions against public authorities. This can include a spectrum of misconduct where individuals can be compensated for unlawful treatment.
Common areas, which arise, can include:-
- Claims against the police and/or prisons for unlawful detention and false imprisonment.
- Edwards Duthie Shamash have a particular expertise in pursuing complaints against the Police including claims for damages. This can include the following:-
- Unlawful imprisonment
- Malicious prosecution
- Wrongful retention of property
- Illegal cautions
- Discrimination claims against public authorities where individuals are treated unfairly under the Equality Act 2010 by reference to any of the following protected characteristics – age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
- Claims on behalf of children and/or adults, who have been the subject of abuse, unlawful detention or personal injury whilst in the care of a Local Authority.
We can assist clients in making applications for legal aid where their financial circumstances mean that they are eligible for legal aid.
Contact the experts
If legal aid is not available we may be able to advise on a private on a private fee paying basis. If you would like to know more or need our help please call us now on 020 8514 9000 to speak with one of our criminal lawyers.