Laura is a solicitor in the Court of Protection department with over thirteen years’ experience of specialising in Court of Protection and Community Care law.
Laura is an Accredited Legal Representative (ALR) under the Law Society Mental Capacity Accreditation Scheme and is regularly instructed by The Official Solicitor, as well as family members, RPPRs and Advocates, to represent vulnerable adults who are involved in Section 21A Deprivation of Liberty Mental Capacity Act 2005 proceedings, as well in Section 16 Mental Capacity Act 2005 proceedings relating to capacity and best interests to determine the client’s capacity to make decisions regarding matters such as residence, care, engaging in sexual relations, marriage, contact with particular individuals, contraception, and foreign travel.
Laura also advises on the following issues:
- The interface between the Mental Health Act 1983 and Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Safeguarding issues
- The Inherent Jurisdiction
- Property and financial affairs
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Issues relating to the Care Act 2014
- Carer’s rights
- Judicial Review
- NHS Continuing healthcare
- Transition from Children’s Act 1989 to Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Section 117 aftercare
- Matters relating to the Human Rights Act 1998
Laura was described in the Legal 500 2020 as “fantastic” and, together with Melissa Law, was described as being “very good at going the extra mile to ensure the person they represent is given the best possible opportunity to participate in proceedings”. Laura is described in the Legal 500 2021 as “intelligent, sharp and insightful. Highly committed to her clients and always ready to fight their corner, but still measured and sensible. A very good knowledge of substantive law in the area”.
BHCC v KD  EWCOP B2
RB v Brighton & Hove Council  EWCA Civ 561
London Borough of Southwark v NP & Ors  EWCOP 48
London Borough of Havering v AEL  EWCOP 9
- Paralegal, Mackintosh Law October 2008 – June 2009
- Trainee Solicitor, Mackintosh Law June 2009 – 2010
- Solicitor, Mackintosh Law 2011 – 2020
- Solicitor, Edwards Duthie Shamash March 2020 onwards