• Searching...

Complaints Policy

How do I make a complaint?

A guide to the Edwards Duthie Shamash Complaints Procedure

Head Office: 269-275 Cranbrook Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 4TG

Telephone: 0208 514 9000


1. Introduction

We do everything we can at Edwards Duthie Shamash to deliver a quality service for our clients. Our goal is to conduct ourselves in a professional manner that will leave a favourable impression on all those with whom we come in to contact during the course of our business.

Nevertheless, we recognise that if someone is dissatisfied with any aspect of our service then we must make available a means for them to register a formal complaint.

This leaflet explains how and to whom you should make a complaint, and describes how it will be dealt with. Our objective is not to place unnecessary obstacles in your way when making us aware of your concerns. Rather, we hope to make our procedure simple and straightforward.

2. How to Complain

Ideally, we would like you to present your complaint to us in writing. This will allow you to set out your concerns in detail and to highlight the issues which are important to you.

However, we do not insist on complaints being presented in writing and we appreciate the difficulties which this can present to some of our clients. Therefore, we will register any complaint you make to us irrespective of how you present it. This means you can put your representations to us:

  • in writing
  • on the telephone
  • by e-mail
  • in person

In sections 3 & 4 of this leaflet you will find details of the person to whom complaints should be directed, together with their contact details.

3. To Whom Should I Complain?

When you first instructed us you will have received a client care letter which set out the terms on which we would advise and or represent you.

Included in that letter were details of how to make a complaint. However, if you do not have that letter, then do not worry.

You can direct your complaint as follows,

Ms Toni Young
Edwards Duthie Shamash Solicitors
Bank House
269-275 Cranbrook Road llford
Essex IG1 4TG
Tel: 0208 514 9000
Fax: 0208 514 9009

4. Service Standards

How quickly will you deal with and reply to my complaint?

Our objective is to register your complaint, investigate it and then send you a reply within 15 working days.

What if you cannot reply that quickly?

Then we shall send you an acknowledgement within 15 days and at the same time we shall tell you when we expect to be able to reply.

Who will investigate my complaint?

Generally, it will be our Practice Manager, Toni Young, who investigates your complaint. However, if your complaint is about Ms Young personally then it will be considered by our Senior Partner, Shaun Murphy. Where circumstances dictate that your complaint should be handled differently, we shall tell you so and explain why.

How quickly will you reply to subsequent letters and calls about my complaint?

We will reply to subsequent letters and calls within a maximum of 10 working days from receiving them, or if we cannot do so, we shall tell you when we expect to return to you.

5. Legal Ombudsman

If we have been unable to settle your complaint using our internal complaints process you have the right to complain to the Legal Ombudsman, an independent complaints body, established under the Legal Services Act 2007, that deals with legal services complaints.

You have six months from the date of our final letter to you to complain to the legal Ombudsman.

Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6806
Telephone: 0300 555 0333

Alternative complaint bodies exist such as Ombudsman services www.ombudsmanservices.org which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme. We do not agree to use Ombudsman Services.

Normally, you will have to bring your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within:

  • 6 months of receiving a final response from us about your complaint and;
  • 6 years from the date of the act or omission giving rise to the complaint or alternatively;
  • 3 years from the date you should reasonably have known there are grounds for complaint (if the act/omission took place before 6 October 2010 or was more than 6 years ago).

6. Solicitors Regulation Authority

Complaints regarding poor service should be directed to the Legal Ombudsman as described above,  However, you can contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) where you believe that a solicitor may have breached an SRA principle.  Further details are available on the SRA website


Skip to content