The Most Common Causes of Forklift Accidents
The operation of forklift trucks is generally covered by various pieces of legislation including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Unfortunately, forklift trucks are involved in a large percentage of workplace transport accidents. Employers need to establish a rigid, disciplined structure of daily user checks, planned maintenance, inspection and thorough assessments. These types of accidents can lead to deaths and life-changing injuries which can affect individuals and businesses.
Common Forklift Problems to be Avoided
- Mast or lift problems: The mast is the lifting mechanism and the frame of the forklift. One of the most common problems is that the lift mechanism is not raising or lowering properly. This could cause damage to the goods being lifted and is usually caused by not having enough hydraulic fluid. It is advisable to repair the leaking cylinder and replace the defective forklift parts like the oil filter and oil seals.
- Overheated engines: One of the most frequent causes of an engine overheating is a broken radiator or radiator blockage. The radiators need to be cleaned and checked for corrosion which prevents water or coolant from circulating.
- Faulty steering: Faulty steering can be a result of low levels of steering fluid transmission which causes the steering wheel not to transmit directional changes fast enough. However, it could also be due to misaligned tyres or rusty steering mechanism.
- Tyre issues/worn out tyres: Forklift tyres are under the pressure of heavy loads and therefore it is vital that their condition is maintained as it may have an impact on safety. Suspensions also react to the load and provide stability to the vehicle.
- Forklift does not start: The cause of the problem could be something as obvious as a flat battery or lack of fuel, or it may be due to a case of overheating.
If you are an employee who operates a forklift truck and has been involved in a forklift truck accident at work, we are able to offer expert assistance on a No Win, No Fee basis.